What Are Dental Implants?
Before pondering on the question, “How to carry out dental implants?” you should know what dental implants actually are. If someone happens to lose a tooth or teeth because of an injury, periodontal disease or some other reason, they will have to seek medical assistance for the replacement of the lost tooth or teeth. Another tooth can easily be fixed in place of the one that has been lost, but it may not be stable and strong as desired. In case you want to render it the natural strength, the best option is to go for dental implant. Then what is dental implant? Well, it is a procedure of planting a tooth root in base of the tooth that has been destroyed due to some physical damage or disease. Afterwards, on the newly implanted root, a permanent or removable tooth would sound natural.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
A life without teeth can rightly be considered a life without taste. No doubt, the identification of the intensity and quality of taste of something is the characteristic of tongue. But how would you extract taste from some food without chewing it? And chewing and grinding is an exclusive feature of teeth. So, it won’t be wrong to claim that life without teeth loses its joy and pleasure. In case of an unfortunate event of teeth loss, you would definitely be feeling deprived. But there is no need to give place to such unpleasant feelings in your mind—just restore the joy of your life through dental implants. Given below are some of the advantages of dental implants:
- Easier Eating: In the absence of teeth, the process of eating, grinding and chewing food becomes so painful. On the other hand, if you go for dental implants, the new teeth would sound natural. They will allow you to eat your favorite foods with style and confidence.
- Restoring Natural Appearance: Loss of teeth, particularly on the front side, has a bad effect on your appearance. Your smile and laugh too lose their charm and attractiveness. Dental implant, in turn, would restore your natural appearance.
- Improving Comfort: The installation of removable teeth causes great difficulty for the individuals wearing them. This discomfort of removable dentures can easily be eliminated with the help of dental implant. In this way, you get permanent teeth with improved comfort.
- Enhancing Speech: If you have got poor-fitting dentures in your mouth as a replacement for broken teeth, they would affect the articulation and quality of speech. Slipping of teeth within the mouth would result in mumbling and slurring of words. Under such circumstances, the dental implants would enhance your speech.
- Maintaining Oral Health: Removable teeth require the support of nearby teeth for remaining fixed on their place. For this end, tooth-supporting bridges are built. In case of an implant, on the other hand, there is no need of support. So, your own teeth remain intact. Moreover, in case of individual implants, there is easier access between the teeth. This improves oral hygiene.
Success Rate of Dental Implants:
The success of an oral implant depends on multiple factors, including the point of their placement, expertise of the dental specialist and post-implant care. In general, the dental implants are carried out with the success rate of up to 98%. A successful implant is very likely to last for a lifetime. It means they will be enjoying natural strength and stability of teeth after having lost them for once.
People Who Can Get Oral Implant:
Generally, all the people enjoying good health are considered suitable for getting a successful dental implant. However, they must be healthy enough to undergo oral surgery or dental extraction. They are supposed to have healthy gums and enough bone that can easily support the implant. To make an implant successful, it is essential to make regular dental visits and maintain a good oral hygiene. Now, let’s turn to the people who are not suitable for getting dental implant. Any person who is a heavy smoker or suffering from some chronic disorder, like diabetes or heart disease, should be carefully evaluated for such a treatment. Meanwhile, the persons having received radiation therapy to their neck or head area need to be evaluated on an individual basis.
How to Carry Out Dental Implant?
An individualized treatment plan is the first step in the overall process of dental implant. Such as plan is prepared by a team of trained professionals who are well experienced in the field of restorative dentistry and oral surgery. The primary aim of such professionals is to address the specific needs of the individual who intends to undergo dental implant. It is also one of the tasks of the team to choose the best implant option for the patient.
The second step involves the placing of a small post, made of titanium, into the bone socket of the tooth that is missing. This process is termed as the implant of tooth root. It is then left for healing which may take up to twelve weeks. During the process of healing, the jaw bone grows around the implanted metal post and anchors it safely in its place.
As the healing progresses, the implant gets bonded to the jawbone. Next, an abutment or a small connector post is fixed with the tooth root. This abutment will serve to hold the new tooth in its place. The size and shape of the new tooth depends on the impression of your teeth and the model of your bite. Afterwards, the newly created replacement tooth is attached to the abutment. Called a crown, this replacement tooth looks, feels and functions in the same way as your natural teeth. This was all about “How to carry out dental implants?” If you find it satisfactory, please comment on the post.